Ever heard girls say, "I guess I am just your ordinary girl..." or "I am just simply the girl next door" or "I am just your average girl..."? Well I did and sometimes even used to say these words in my mind as a defence or explanation for I don't know what :-)
And then the other week it struck me: Ordinary? Simple? Average? I don't want to be that (and I certainly am not!)!
So I looked it up and here are some definitions of these words:
or·di·nar·y [awr-dn-er-ee] adjective
1.of no special quality or interest; commonplace; unexceptional: One novel is brilliant, the other is decidedly ordinary; an ordinary person.
2. plain or undistinguished: ordinary clothes.
3. somewhat inferior or below average; mediocre.
4. customary; usual; normal: We plan to do the ordinary things this weekend.
sim·ple [sim-puhl] adjective
1. easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.: a simple matter; simple tools.
2. not elaborate or artificial; plain: a simple style.
3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned: a simple gown.
4. unaffected; unassuming; modest: a simple manner.
5. not complicated: a simple design.
av·er·age [av-er-ij, av-rij] adjective
6. of or pertaining to an average; estimated by average; forming an average: The average rainfall there is 180 inches.
7.typical; common; ordinary
I certainly do not want to be defined by these adjectives as a woman. I want to be a worldchanger, different, breathtaking, unusual, luxurious, beautiful, tender, elaborate, colorful, special!
Because I believe that is how God sees me. That is what defines His creation. And I am part of that creation and of His being an artist. And I don't think that any artist would call their piece of art unspecial or plain.
Therefore I just want to encourage you that before you say things like that about yourself. Rethink. Change your mindset about yourself. You are not ordinary, simple or average. You are special, extraordinary, complex and beautiful! God wanted you!
PS: picture from last Christmas with my best friends! We are anything but normal!