Monday, November 24, 2014

The Nature of Rest

Running, working, doing, producing, smiling, more make-up, more deadlines, more planning, less sleep, more coffee. That is how November felt like. Trapped in time, chased by time and with no means to stop it. I stood like a stoic warrior. Enduring, pushing through, not complaining, taking on everything put in my heads, steadfast. Not giving up, not giving in.
Still, in the midst of all of it I was inspired. I had ideas and I stayed creative and found moments of rest.
"Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in every way and [that your body] may keep well, even as [I know] your soul keeps well and prospers." (1 John 1:2, AMP) This verse has been with me over the last couple of weeks as time seemed short. It was a constant reminder that I need to rest in God, that my soul needs to prosper and rest in Him.
For me preparing a meal and gathering people around a table is breaking out of my time and space framework. It is in those moments that time stands still. It is then where I become creative with many ideas. The steady kneading of a dough of dinner rolls or the circular motion of preparing mashed potatoes which involve a multitude of cheese or the simple beauty of meringue. It is the process of waiting which slows me down. I cannot make it happen faster. Homemade food takes time and patience.
As the different fragrances mingle and fill my apartment I light candles and set the table. I gather my friends around a table and serve them with food. We eat.
We drink. We laugh, we dream and and share life. We are thankful and full of hope.
As our bodies are nourished our souls and spirits are nourished. We gather and break bread. We practice community like Jesus did. 

That is how my annual German Thanksgiving was: A moment of real rest and nourishment of friends and food and breaking bread and having real fellowship.

The menu for the night was:

Amuse
To warm up
Something light
Green Salad with  apples, walnuts and goat cheese 
Goat cheese biscuits
***
***
Sweet
Chocolate Meringue
"Autumn" 

xoxo

Ramona




No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you. Your thoughts, ideas and inspiration...leave me a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pin it Button